Everyone enjoys gathering around the fireplace especially during the holidays. While you’re keeping yourself jolly and warm, remember these fireplace safety tips:
- Keep a window cracked
- Use dry or well-aged wood. Dry wood burns with less smoke and burns more easily
- Have the chimney checked annually by a professional
- Make sure the area around the fireplace is clear from anything that is potentially flammable
- Never leave a fire unattended. Before leaving the house or going to bed, make sure the fire is completely out
- Install safety screens to reduce the risk of burns
- Put fireplace tools and accessories out of children’s reach. Remove any lighters or matches
- Check to ensure that smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly
- Keep a fire extinguisher on hand
- Communicate to your children at an early age of the danger of fires and what safety precautions to take
Follow our blog for more articles!
Visit our Parent Resources for more information about some common issues!